Interview: Kari Byron

Kari Byron, Mythbuster

Welcome to Science is Speaking! This week I interview the talented and beautiful Kari Byron!

You know Kari Byron as the fun, fearless female of the Mythbusters Build Team-but did you know she’s also an amazing artist, sculptor and soon to be mom? In fact, Kari has worn many hats during her life from Secret Shopper to Toy Maker! I talk with Kari about her experiences and the connection between art and science.


Before Mythbusters, you traveled around the world! What‘s your favorite memory?


I traveled a whole year worth of memories; choosing a favorite is difficult. One of my favorites was reaching the Annapurna Base camp (26540ft elevation) in the Himalayas. I have never been super athletic and definitely not a mountain climber. It was a hard trek. I dislocated my knee near the top and got altitude sickness but was determined to reach the top. Standing there at the end of my journey, at the top of that beautiful mountain, with a feeling of supreme accomplishment, I experienced a moment of bliss I will never forget. Then I threw up. When faced with impossible tasks, I try to recall that memory (except for the barfing).

Your Mythbusters Bio says you’ve been experimenting in science since you were a child- were you always an artist as well?


According to my dad, I have always been an artist. My biggest accomplishment was a rocket ship/refrigerator box that I lived in for a week.

Arts and Sciences are often put together, but many people view Art as creative and emotional and Science as technical and logical. What connects them?


Not that I remotely qualify as a scientist, but I have made friends with quite a few. I think scientists have to be creative to ask the "questions". The best scientists are always the ones who are most passionate, a trait commonly associated with artists.

You’ve said you’d “go crazy” if you didn’t create a piece of art everyday. What inspires you?


That depends on the day. Sometimes it is the best of humanity, sometimes the worst. I like extremes. Most of all being surrounded by motivated people inspire me. My husband is the hardest working artist I have ever met. He keeps me creative.

Artist, Sculptor, TV Personality, Mythbuster… What comes next?

Mom. I am 9 months pregnant. I think this will be my greatest mountain.
 
See Kari Byron's AMAZING art on her webiste, http://www.karibyron.com/

You can also learn more about Kari by visiting her Mythbusters Bio!

I'd like to take a moment to recognize the photographer of the beautiful picture I used, Mitch Surprenant. You can find more of his work on his Flickr stream, including other pictures of Kari: http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=Kari+EIU&m=text

No comments:

Post a Comment